Tuesday, September 06, 2005

BAD SPELLING, GOOD TELLING

When you spell good, you are believed good. Same thing for grammar, including Kelsey Grammar, who may have won some Grammies, I don't know.

When I was in the forth grade I spelled great. In Florida Military School there were good, probably college level, teachers who induced me to speak and write mostly correctly. In North Carolina and Houston the English teachers were sticklers for correct expression. Only one abused me intentionally, but I believe Thelma Dixon was very sick, hated and tortured selected students, and would have been right at home in Guantanamo.

My peers would shun and sneer (at, upon) my ability to form sentences. I was on South Texas Jr College, now U of Houston Downtown, "TALON" newspaper staff, and had a good handle on the language.

Viet Nam unscrewed everything. They had a real draft, not the back-door induction of the current Emperor, so I was sucked up and out of a full-time education, electronics and Shakespear(e) at the same time. I estimate that within six months in the Army, beginning at Ft Polk, La., my vocabulary decreased by one-forth. Started using cuss-words not before uttered.

But I still am glad for the opportunity to blog. Beats my Remington portable.

In Long Binh, HQ USARV, I fired a semi-automatic Underwood 5, not to mention an M14, M60, M79; and I hope I spelled them right.

Most folks did not get the education to function, and are abused today by the arrogant in office, their bosses, financial elites, and other jailors. So am I.

It is good to have Spell Check and the Backspace Key. No eraser dust, only a keystroke trail for the KGB or Homeland Security. Or is it der Faderland SS, smile und Heil. Not spelling Usama, USAma, right beats not thinking.

Remember that security is the opposite of freedom, even spelled wrong.

-30-bobby

2 Comments:

Blogger Jamey said...

Scientific Fact

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the
frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses
and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed
ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Preosllnay I tinhk its cmolpete nenosnese......

:o)

September 14, 2005 11:21 AM  
Blogger REDELEPHANT said...

iF gEorGe BSuh wus nut zo dmub he cuold raed good (how did tsht heppan?). Being dyslexic would not matter if only the word meaning were learned instead of the mechanical decipherment. Must be how speedreadingworks.

I like it when accidental mistrokes make Freudian slips.

I wish I had a record of those.

Bilingual puns are good, and sometimes spelling contributes.

Thank you for the insight.

-30-bobby

September 15, 2005 6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home