Saturday, March 04, 2006

Elephant Safari

WHY ASK? DON'T ASK ME

IT IS A GOOD QUESTION, why say things outside your comfort zone, when it is safer not to know the human condition.

Ask Mel Chin if you should ask him: Don't.

I first saw Mr. Chin at the Painted Tuesdays, Tuesday at Helios. He was introduced By Thuy Cornet as a local artist turned national whose parents had owned a grocery store in the 5th Ward.

He began to talk about stories and art and how all art is political. It makes a statement no matter if it says nothing, which defaults to supporting the status quo, and that ain't good. I'm paraphrasing. Don't ask me why I say, "Look at the malfeasant establishment, they violate human rights by policy." Don't ask me why I expose for view the Emperor's birthday suit."

I knew right away I was in a presence. I asked, (you see), how he viewed residential impeachment.

He answered that we could get so focused on the current corruptions that we do not get the big picture of a half dozen or more presidents starting with James Monroe: the Monroe Doctrine, to now, which includes theese Iraqi and other willful errors. Theese are my takes on his more eloquent and planespoken observations. We decided to be the single most powerful country and there was only one obstacle: HUMAN RIGHTS.

He says he dosn't want to change the world, just to present questions in the viewer.

His work has specific physical and geographic and historic and iconic accuracy; then don't ask him: ask yourself.

I think the question is, "Why is my comfort zone required in order for the empire to murder humanity."

His question is, "Why are you conditioned to ask me why I ask why you haven't asked at all?".

The Station Museum, LaBranch and Alabama, Mel Chin: Don't Ask Me.

-30-bobby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home